I seem to be a bit challenged in allowing things to really sink in & take affect in my life... It seems to sadly be a pattern. I feel like I am still battling the same issues I've battled since I was 12.
Lately, I feel that God has truly been giving me "my portion" just as I need it. I feel like there is so much that is swirling in my head and heart lately that I can't get it all sorted out and make sense of it. When I talk, I'm rambling too much, and that's how I feel. I probably said that same thing last week, which is my point exactly.
Yet, I am truly learning that God really supplies all our needs. And getting that concept from only being a theory I believe - into a heart action that I whole heartedly have experienced -has been very trying and such a gift of grace. I feel like just when one piece of what I'm learning is finally starting to fall into place or beg another question, that wham, I am given another portion. A bite sized portion of understanding from God... Either that or things have been torn open enough that I'm being able to truly see the glimpse of His work that he's always doing and I'm usually missing. It's been so humbling. Amazing, and I don't want to lose it.
In Bible study yesterday, Beth shared some of her story from her early 30s. She said that God was really prompting her to be used by God; but that he had to really take her to her knees before she could continue in her journey of ministry. She said she learned two lessons: 1. To deal with her "stuff" and 2. To become truly humble & become aware of her pridefulness.
When she said this yesterday, I felt like she was speaking directly to me.
She shared this during our discussion of Daniel 4. Nebuchadnezzar is writing this Chapter, or at least it's taken from something he's written. And he is telling his life story as King of Babylon. He shares that he had a vision of a tree growing up & then being cut down to a stump. Daniel interprets the dream, and warns the King that he is going to be reduced to living like an animal if he doesn't stop ignoring God.
And then, it happens. 12 months later, the King goes mad. Beth even shared with us the two psychological conditions that they thought were realistic of what happened to the King- basically he went crazy and thought he was an animal for possibly 7 years. And then through that he repented and was restored to his Kingdom.
The details of that story blow my mind. How would you be received after having a mental condition that causes you to act like an animal? And I think I've got issues of admitting my faults and get in my own way of God's work. Wow! God's power & sovereignty are obviously the focus and theme of this chapter. And as Beth said, "Lord, this is a field trip, I don't want to take. Let me learn this one from the page." AMEN.
But, then Beth shares about being cut down in her own life to a stump & being brought down hard and quick in her own life. And then being covered with bronze and sealed to be used by God.
As I sat there on the floor of our classroom, I felt she was summing up what I'm supposed to be understanding about my own life right now...and more importantly what I'm supposed to understand about God. I feel like God has told me it's time to deal with some of "my stuff" that I didn't realize was a problem. And, I also feel like in the middle of it, that God has brought me to my knees & is cutting me down to a stump to be able to grow back and be fruitful. Right now, I think we are still on the way to cutting it down, but I am hopeful in the midst of the pruning.
I'm stunned at the parallel. I'm humbled. I'm grateful. I'm trying to listen and hear Him. I'm amazed at the relevance of this vision and it's imagery....and ironically, I think God has even helped me understand the true sense of this since I've been working in the yard lately.
I am not trying to walk around looking for signs in everything; but I think that God puts the details together- the mundane. Amazing. He's God, he can do that. And in my mind, I think- Nah- God's too busy to have me out trimming bushes & digging up roots with Travis on Wednesday night, and then sit in a Bible study on Thursday AM and hear the most gut wrenching parallel to my life.. But, he does care that much to make tangible details in my life. He isn't going to reinforce with stories and experiences. What?! Why not?
God is big enough to care about the details in my life. And that right there is amazing.
Becoming humble, doesn't mean I go around thinking God doesn't care enough to orchestrate these tiny details in my life. But it does mean, I better not blink for a minute in thinking that he doesn't want to prune out all my stuff that hinders me from Him.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment