My closest and best friend in Charleston for the last couple years is moving. I'm so bummed. But, I'm also very happy for her. Her husband is in the Marines and they will be in California for about five weeks then moving to the DC area for the next 3 years. First of all, I'm very happy that they did not end up overseas as anticipated. And second, I'm very happy that they have started a life together. It is different to become friends with people as adults. As Karen and I became friends I quickly became aware of her relationship with her husband (boyfriend at the time) and knew that she would probably move away. In college and high school, I alway lived under this veil thinking my friends and I would always live right next door to each other and be all up in each other's drama, etc. I've stayed in touch with a few high school friends and even closer to my college friends even though we are all over the east coast and midwest. But it was different with Karen. I think living in South Carolina I have learned a lot of my friends come and go. My first closest friend, Melissa, moved back to Greenville. It's so cool though because she just got married to a wonderful guy. And we hardly see each other, but when we do we stay up late talking like we haven't missed a beat. The next people we were the closest with also moved to Greenville, Gail and Dee. They were awesome friends. They even ended up moving into our neighborhood. We were the "only come over if you are in your pajama pants and have your hair up or redneck shorts on" friends. We were so sad to see them leave as well. That being said, I was somewhat prepared for my friendship with Karen not to last for too long in the same town.
Karen and I were both in funny places, ready for new best friends and going through major life changes. We had so much in common and so much that was different. I learned a lot from being friends with her (and I dont mean to say this in the past tense; but a long distance friendship is different than a day to day friendship). She and I worked together and even had our desks in adjacent areas for almost a year. I think what was unique is that we both gave each other space. Other people got on our nerves, but for some reason there was always a common unspoken bond that we just tolerated each other. I'm frantic and spastic at times, and Karen is steady and slow at decisions. It was a riot to work on projects together. It was fun to have each other's backs. Even more fun was sharing planning her wedding and my first pregnancy!
I really hope that God puts us in the same town again soon, but I know that he has truly blessed me with her friendship. It's still sad and a lot harder than I thought it would be to know she's really really leaving. She'll still have her house and car here for awhile longer, so I guess i can prolong her final departure. Maybe it's easier that way. I don't know. But we've had a great few years....laughing at hallmark cards until we cry, acting stupid, psychoanalyzing ourselves, scolding each other, stickin up for each other, and kind of growing up together. And she's the one who I started blogging with. I guess she better start writing again.
I love ya girl..
Friday, June 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment