Saturday, August 06, 2005

Go ye into all the world..... and preach the gospel

Evangelism. My testimony. Salvation. The deeper need.

The concept of evangelism has been on my mind a lot lately. I say concept because I believe that I am surrounded in my life by things that bring people to church or center around inviting people to church, and I feel that I am drifting from taking initiative on my own. I didn't go to contemporary churches growing up. I learned a lot; but most of my friends' parents went to church and their parents' parents went to church, etc. So talking about Moses and the burning bush wasn't too foreign.

My testimony as a kid was the girl down the street who went to private school. But they knew more than that. I told them about Jesus. My friend Billy, who I wrote about in a previous blog, heard about Jesus. I went to youth camps. I wore t-shirts that have Bible verses on them. I lead a prayer group at school. Any boy I dated knew that I was a Christian and what I stood for....

Now that I go to a church that I'm sure most people would feel comfortable coming to, I don't say "You need Jesus". I say, "Oh, you should come some time to church with me..." Now, I'm not reverting to Hell Fire and Brimstone preaching or saying that this isn't a good first step. But why is it just the "churches" responsibility to share salvation's message.? I work hard at my job at our church to make sure people will "get" whatever we are working on...

But I think I need to challenge myself to working on what to say if someone really wants to know about Jesus or there is a blatant opportunity and all I say is...you should come to church. Maybe I should stop and talk to them right then and there... My God is big enough to handle the spur of the moment evangelism...
Hmmmm...that' my thought: spur of the moment evangelism.... what do I say. How do I say it w/o quoting verses that they won't udnerstand....do I have my own testimony to share...can I explain salvation... Yes. I know I can...so why don't I do that more often??? I think I'm going to have to pray about this....

No comments: