I met Heidi my freshman year of college almost nine years ago. She was a riot from the minute I met her. Adorable girl from Holland, Michigan. She was tiny. I can't remember how we first met, but we quickly became friends that first year of school. We went to campus events together, talked about boys,did the normal girl stuff.
The funniest thing still about Heidi is that she has the "Heidi" look when you are either being inappopriate or she thinks you need to "behave" a bit more. I got that look often.
At the end of our freshman year, we were packing up to go home for the summer. I remember that Heidi had a crush on a certain boy; and we girls had found out that Heidi had never kissed a boy before. Now, most of my friends and I were not up to par with her in that area of never having had a first kiss. I gave Heidi a card as we were leaving. It had one of those Kim Anderson black and white photos of kids kissing on it. I told her to keep the card and mail it to me when she had her first kiss.
I figured I'd get the card that summer. Nope. Not the next summer. Not the next year. Not our junior year. Not my senior year. Heidi went out with several guys; but still... she hadn't found the one and Heidi wasn't messing around. Years passed. I moved down South. Heidi went to med school. We kept in touch. But I had somewhat forgotten about the card over the years.
Now Heidi is living in Tennessee and is a Nurse Practitioner. Three months ago, I got a card in the mail. The hand writing looked familiar...the return address was Memphis. But the handwriting partially looked like mine.
I opened the card: I didn't recognize the photo at first; but the envelope was stained. Inside it read in my handwriting, "Heidi, I hope all your dreams come true. The title of this card is "first kiss". Have a good summer! I'll miss you." To the side it said: "NO MATTER WHAT: you have to save this card and send it to me when it happens!"
In fresh ink and Heidi's hand writing all it said: "So I guess I really don't have to tell you why I am sending you this after a million years.... Heidi"
Heidi's wedding is next month is Memphis. I'm so proud of her. What a testimony of purity and respect. How blessed her husband will be by her commitment to remain true to her convictions.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awesome story of purity and integrity!!!
i love this story...
Post a Comment