Friday, July 01, 2005

Door to Door

I sold books door to door. Funny to most people. Normal to me.

Kids books. NOT magazines. (No offense magazine reps; but the SW company was on a different level).

I was not the top rep. I knew him. He's still a friend.

I didn't always work as late as some people did.

I went because I knew it would be hard. I knew it was a challenge.

I was trying to find myself.

Instead. I found out more who God was. Way more important lesson.

That's why I like people. God teaches us so much through people.

I'll never forget trying to drive my Honda down a muddy dirt pot-holed road to meet her. I'd met her on the sidewalk the day before. She was buying cigarettes. She knew I wasn't from that town. Every knew that.

But she told me to come by the next day. Her kids needed help in school. And maybe these books could help.

So I arrived. The chickens and kittens cluttered my feet as I knocked on the door of her trailer. The wood was rotted on the stairs that I was balancing on.

SHe opened the door. The stench of cat pee was potent. She pushed dirty dishes and towels off the table that was lit from a cord that held a bare light bulb.

She wanted those books for her kids. She believed that they could have a better life if they could make it through school. I dont think she could read.

Her family helped her come up with the down payment. I never had the heart to charge her for the rest of the books. I told her a little about God's love. You see she had Faith.

It was her faith. Faith that a simple book might spark Courage in her kids to change their lives.
It's the same way with real Faith. Faith in God. Faith in our life.

That was my prayer this year. That I'd learn what Faith truly was. The Faith that moved mountains. I've seen some mountains moved this year in my life. I wonder how many mountains a simple book moved in her kids life. More importantly I wonder if she ever found the Real Faith.

She was just one person that brought across my path 7 years ago.

I'll never forget that summer.

I sold my first set of books to a farmer on his milk processing machine and I learned about faith.

No comments: