Sunday, July 17, 2005

Glimpses of Heaven...

I like the fact that my little human brain can't fathom all the mysteries of the earth. I'm okay with that. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a great education.

But sometimes, I find that I'm happy not to get it all. Maybe that's because I attended a school that was pretty legalistic. I knew more what the "rules" were instead of what having a relationship with God was. Thank goodness my parents example was not the same as my high school's views of faith. So maybe being in a inter- or non- denominational atmoshere has made me come to these conclusions. I'm not talking about not needing to understand salvation. I'm not talking about not studying the Bible. I'm talking about some of the other etails. For instance, Heaven. Our pastor did a series on heaven around Easter this year. We called it Afterlife. That's because our church is edgy.

And maybe some of my theology is off on exactly how Heaven will be; however...
sometimes when I stand in our church on Sunday mornings or at a First Wednesday service. I can see it. If I close my eyes I think I hear the angels singing with us. And it is in those moments that my skin wrinkles into little chill bumps. Tears scrunch to the corners of my eyes. And I wonder just how amazing heaven will be. I feel it too. I feel silly to admit it; but sometimes I think God knows how much my physical body yearns for heaven where I won't hurt anymore.

And sometimes in the midst of my moments of worshipping God, I realize my joints don't hurt. At all. I mean it. Now to anyone else this sounds odd. But I stand in awe of those moments where I know exactly who I am in Christ. And when the moments pass, I wish that I could just keep my focus homeward bound a little longer.

I know everyone says we won't stand around and sing hymns all day in heaven. And I'm sure that the worship leaders from my church won't be leading worship. But, I can see them front and cente. But, I think if they played hymns the way my church does, then I'd be okay with hymns all day. I could do it. I could sing praises to God all day.

No comments: