So I thought.
My hubby had to work Saturday morning. So I figured it was a good day to go to the beach for a while day. I convinced my friend, Karen, to go with me. However, since she has a chronic issue of getting anywhere on time...well rather in a hurry..I decided to meet her there. I say that in love.
I was breathing in the salt air as I toted my chair and beach bag out to the serene peacefulness of the beach. Not too many people. It's 10 am. Great. I pikc a perfect spot far away from other people for several reasons. First, I'm not too fond of wearing a bathing suit infront of anyone anymore. Yeah, about 4 years ago. No problem. But now a days, I'd rather keep my lower end covered by a skirt. So I wanted a spot far from anyone I didn't know.
But I love the beach. LOVE it. I'm from Ohio. Come on. Even if I were to go to the beach twice a year. I think knowing it is only 10 minutes away is peaceful.
About fiftenen minutes into my solitude, I hear loud voices in the distance. I look up to see several girls running out of the water. At first, I thought they were just being silly. A few minutes later as the "F" word was screamed every other word, I realized they had been stung by jelly fish. But, seriously, must we swear at the top of our lungs?
I try to continue my peaceful moment. Thinking, just someone pee on their leg. I actually thought about offering... However, I refrained. I kinda felt bad because I'm sure it hurt. But...
A few minutes later, they are yelling and waving in my directions. Oh, no. So I turn to see the Isle of Palms Police Golf cart scooting down the beach in my direction. I wave at the cart and point to the girls. "I think they need you." That's all I said. Then I layed back down and closed my eyese thinking it would all end.
Nope. Ten minutes later I hear the sirens of fire trucks and the little group is still standing about five feet from my peaceful solitude bubble. Now the IOP fire dept golf cart is pattering down the beach. Now there are 2 police, 2 fireman, and 3 teenagers (who are now giggling at the men in uniform) standing directly on top of my lawn chair.
Now there is no way to politely get up and move. But I can't figure out for the life of me why they don't step over about 10 feet and leave me to my peace. I'm seriously feeling horrible because I'm sorry they were stung. But, when they started to check their vitals. I thought I was going to scream at them. Granted I was NOT going to use the "F" word.
I literally was afraid at one point that the fireman was going to step on my face because his shorts were touching my lawn chair. So I start text messaging Karen. Calling her. Hoping that she would hurry up so I'd have a reason to move. I started to act irritated. I turned and gave exasperated glances. Nothing. Sheesh!
So, I was very relieved when Karen finally arrived, chatting on her cell phone, so I could have a reason to move my chair.
Insane. I tell you. So much for a nice day at the beach. Thank goodness my friend Karen and I are capable of breaking into hysterics at about any moment on cue. I was over it soon enough. However, Karen, not so much...to see the rest of the story:
http://karensrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/07/not-so-fun-in-sun.html
Monday, July 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment