Friday, July 01, 2005

Sound Tracks to Life

Maybe I'll become a full time song lyric interpreter. I don't know. But I've always had a "perfect" song for almost ever major moment of my life. Let's see.... I remember learning gymnastic routines with the "star" gymnast of my town, Erica, to the tunes Blame it on the Rain!
Jumping on the couch cushions and twirling our rhytmic ribbons. My friend, jennifer, from 4th grade and I used to sing "living on a prayer"; but we thought it was "living on a praire". See I told you I was from the midwest. We also sang "Hang on Snoopy" instead of "Sloopy". We continued that tradition as High School cheerleaders every time the Pep Band played. Yes, I said Pep Band.

Then there was "Walking on Broken Glass". Adrienne and I coordinated the "car dancing" routine to this in her little silver convertible. And YES, ladies, that was where the car dancing began.

Then there were the songs that I cried to like the cheesy "Must Have Been Love" when I broke up with whoever I had a crush on for 2 weeks in junior high... And crying to "A Friends a Friend Forever" at high school graduation. That's about the time I was introduced to country music and Trisha Yearwood's "The Song Remembers When"...Oh I cried to that song. My husband and I still love to listen to Trisha on road trips.

I still want to call my mom (and most the time I do) every time I hear "She's in Love with the Boy". You shoudl have seen her choreographing the lyrics "watching the chickens peck the ground" sticking her chin out and smiling. I love it!

In college, Oh the drama! I won't list all the songs from that era! But I did sing Celine Dion into my curling iron many a night in my tiny dorm room. I'll never be able to hear "I will Survive" without bursting into memorized choreography from "Air Band" shows in college. I think that was my mantra for several years of college. And the random Verve Pipe band's "Freshman" song came out my frehsman year of college. A friend dedicated to me "Sweet Child of Mine". I still want to cry every time I hear Vitamin C's one hit wonder "Graduation".

I sold books for the Southwestern company two summers. I got sick and had to quit. Which is a big no-no. I spent years trying to prove to myself and everyone else that I wasn't a quitter. I'll never forget sitting between my two friends that day I had to go home, Dave F and Will, and crying to "Hold Me Jesus" by Rich Mullins. That was a dark time; but wow, was God so present.

When I met my husband we heard a local girl singing "Never been a Princess Before" and scoured the radio stations to find her cd. Our first dance was "At Last" and boy can Etta James belt it out.

I remember a close friend from Charleston's dad was dying. The morning he died I woke up singing "I can Only Imagine" what heaven will be like...

And that's probably why I love Tim McGraw's Drugs or Jesus so much (see blog about I love Country music) because I've had a simple life; but sometimes it's so amazing when all the pieces of the people and places and experiences come together and make sense. I've always loved broken people. And I believe that Tim's so right that we either choose the road to Jesus or whatever "drug" we choose.

It's a funny thing about music. And how it takes you back or takes you forward or makes you drop to your knees.

No comments: